Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Gift

If you look closely at my profile you should notice a small change to it.
A lot has changed since my last post. New job for one. I had been at the same company for 4 years. I started there just 3 days before Younger broke both bones in her right leg. A higher power had to be looking out for me as I could run home (not drive like a demon but RUN) when she called for help.
My direct ‘boss’ was wonderful and when he retired the supervisor moved up and he was great as well.
I knew my stuff, really liked the people I worked with and was settled in. I wasn’t happy about the money. I did take a second part time, part time job driving again but I was OK about what was my position in this company.
Shortly after my last post (which was when Blogger made me make changes that LOCKED ME OUT) the second company’s president called me and asked if I would come in to talk about what I did at my ‘real’ job. So I went, talked and showed off and was offered a job! At 25% more an hour to start!
I’m no fool, I took it. It’s meant changes in my work schedule which has affected some of my personal activities but that’s very minor.
I gave an over 6 week notice. I wanted the company to be able to hire someone and give me time to train the new person. I work with a program that is specific to the transportation industry. It’s not like Word or Excel or even Quick Books. But it’s very intuitive to learn and the tech support is phenomenal. Because I was the primary user I had set up alot of things to help the department run more efficiently and give my boss better information about the department. That’s what was going to take the new person time to learn.
Well, I ended up with only 2 weeks to train and it wasn’t until the last day I realized that this new person really didn’t know Word or Excel at all! Too late, I was out of there. This person was calling me multiple times a day for the first 2 weeks for help. I’ve even had to go back for several hours to straighten out some of the messes that were created and do more training on end of month closing.
On my last day, I expected that my boss would buy me lunch and maybe give me a card. Lunch time rolled around and he didn’t. But all the guys in the department did! And they made me cry! I was give pizza and soda and presents and boy do I miss them. But I do like my new job and most of my co-workers.
As I was pulling into the parking lot of the new place, my cell phone rang. Older was calling to let me know she was at the hospital and had been there since 3 am. This was to be the day that The Gift was arriving. I finally received another call at 3 as I was leaving that Taylor Grace had been born at 2:02 pm weighing over 8 pounds!
I got to see her when she was 5 hours old. Beautiful! Somehow we managed to take a picture of me holding her with the clock behind my head showing the time – 7:02 pm. And when Husband was printing out the pictures Younger and I took he started to cry.
The Gift looks just like her sister did except she has blond highlights, not red. And she is as laid back as The Boss is, well bossy! But she doesn’t like to be naked, just like her sister. Diaper changes and bathing is when she winds up and has her screaming fits. Once she has clothes on she goes back to being this calm person.
And now that the warm weather is here, Youngest has started playing baseball; Husband has started playing golf, bus trips have picked up and my new job?
Most days I come home with my brain fried! It’s a lot more that what was described to me. I’m super busy and can’t get everything I want to done each day. It’s challenging but I’m loving it!

PS – I also became a Great-Aunt 3 weeks after The Gift arrived. That means I’m not the only grandmother in my family and my mom now had 3 Great-Grand Daughters!